Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A Sociological Experiment

Today I was discussing my dismay about online dating sites with co-workers.  One co-worker told me about her ex-husband and how he'd been using dating sites for years.  She even explained how she hacked into his account at one point.  She said he'd been using cheesy one-liners with dozens of women each time he logged in. 

Now, I had been suspicious of men doing this on dating sites.  I can tell when they send me cheesy one-liners.  That wasn't what was interesting.  What was really interesting is what I had long suspected - some guys are approaching dozens of women each night.  I thought this had to be the case since some guys send me the same line 5 times in one week.  I suppose they forget who they've approached, and they just keep casting out the net.

Hearing this information from my co-worker confirmed my suspicion.  Of course, I don't necessarily approve of anyone hacking into an ex's online dating account to obtain this information, but it was helpful nonetheless.  We then discussed whether women could get away with sending out the same cheesy one-liners and if it would actually be more successful for a woman to do this rather than a man.  After all, guys tell me all the time women won't approach them, so a woman's results would probably be different from a man's results.  So that leads me to my sociological experiment.

I am going to do it.  I am going to pick 10 guys from Plenty of Fish on a Friday night and send a cheesy pick-up liner to each one... the SAME pick-up line to each one.  I am going to see if I get any responses and, if so, what type of responses.  I will, of course, post the results on this blog.  I will also use my actual account since I don't mind humiliating myself for the entertainment of readers.

Some of you might think this is unethical, but I don't.  I will purposely approach men I would actually go out with and if they respond, hey great!  If they don't, oh well.  There are plenty of fish in the sea.  Since I am using Plenty of Fish, that makes even more sense.  So let's see where this takes us! 

In case you are wondering what exciting cheesy line I am going use, it will be: "I wish you were a library book because I'd like to check you out."  Oh yeah.  That is awful, but a genuine one-liner this guy was using with the ladies.  Much to my surprise, my co-worker said he even got some positive responses.  So now, I am going to give it a try, too.  Wish me luck!

For more online dating excitement, check out:

Polite Ways to End an Awkward Date

Online Dating: You Can't Argue Your Way Out of Rejection

20 Reasons Dates Are Like Job Interviews

No comments:

Post a Comment